Below are our most frequently asked questions. If you have additional questions, feel free to get in touch!
Why are Motorola and Lenovo hosting this Challenge?
- We want to engage and inspire innovators to make the Moto Mods that Moto Z owners want to see come to life. There’s no one better than you to create the features you’ll see next on the back of your Moto Z and that’s why we’re committed to making your idea a reality in partnership with Indiegogo and Verizon.
How are you selecting winners?
- Submissions will be judged by a panel of judges on their originality/innovativeness, commercial viability and overall use of the Moto Z modular platform.
- Once the Indiegogo campaigns have been launched, the finalists will then be judged on their originality/innovativeness, commercial viability, overall use of the Moto Z modular platform, and the success of their campaign.
If selected to receive a Moto Z phone and development kit, do I have to launch an Indiegogo campaign?
- In order to be eligible for the Transform the Smartphone Challenge and receive a trip to pitch and learn at Moto’s HQ in Chicago and for the chance to receive distribution through Verizon and other benefits, you must launch an Indiegogo campaign related to the Moto Mod you develop.
Will Motorola help me fulfill the perks from my campaign?
- It is the sole responsibility of the campaign owner to fulfill the perks associated with his or her campaign. Make sure you plan accordingly! The Essential Guide to Crowdfunding is a great resource to help you out.
How many ideas can people submit?
- You are not restricted by any limit. Feel free to submit as many ideas as you’d like! Note that your submissions will all be subject to selection criteria and submitting multiple entries will not impact your chances of being selected.
Do I have to be located in the US to be eligible?
- No, the challenge is open to individuals who have reached the age of majority in the state or country of their residence.
If I participated in a Moto Mods Hackathon, do I still submit through the form to be part of the Challenge?
- Yes, please submit your concept or completed prototype through the general form to participate in the Challenge for your chance to receive your own development kit and Moto Z phone.
Is there a benefit to launching my campaign earlier than later?
- Yes. While you are certainly welcome to launch your campaign any time between January 3, 2017 and March 6, 2017, launching it earlier is advantageous as your campaign will be reviewed based on its status as of March 6, 2017 at 11:59pm PST. Starting toward the beginning of this timeframe can give you more time to spread awareness and raise funds before the judging.
Can I raise funds after the crowdfunding campaigns are reviewed on March 6?
- Of course! Though you will be judged based on your campaign’s status as of March 6, 2017 at 11:59 pm PST, you are welcome to keep your campaign open and continue raising funds for as long as you’d like. We encourage it!
Do I have rights to refer to my product concept as a Moto Mod?
- You may use the following statements to describe any Moto Mod concepts in development which are not yet certified by Motorola:
- “[INSERT NAME], a Moto ModsTM concept for Moto Z smartphones.”“*Moto Mods™ is a trademark of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC.”
- You may also use the below statement to provide your audience with more information on the Moto Mods ecosystem:
- “Moto Mods™ snap onto any Moto Z to give it a whole new superpower. They transform your phone allowing it to do things other phones can’t. To learn more visit www.motomods.com.”
- The “MOTO MOD” word mark and Moto Mod logo are trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC. All other uses of the MOTO MOD mark (or any other term confusingly similar to “MOTO MOD”) prior to receiving certification through Motorola’s Moto Mod Certification Program, are strictly prohibited, including incorporating “Moto Mod” as part of the name of any such proposed mod.
Ready to get started?